Their service has always been the same too – always good, never great. Until tonight.
This girl just had it right. My (very pregnant) wife and 2 year old went in at about 6:00. The highlights:
– Before she even took our drink orders, she got our daughters order first so her food could come out early. We often do that, but the server suggested it without our asking. Brilliant!
– The restuarant was out of crayons. What’s up with that? However, our server rounded up various colors of pens for our daughter to play with. Crisis averted.
– We always order a half-glass of chocolate milk for our daughter. Half-glass. Half. Easy enough? Not at most restaurants. They usually bring a full glass, which they usually get to help clean up. 🙂 Tonight we asked for a half-glass and got a half-glass. Was that so hard?
– Time to refill our drinks. She brought fresh glasses. I hate hate hate hate it when they take your glass away to refill it. It often happens right when they bring your food out, so you’ve got hot food and no drink. Dummies. I’ve gotten in the habit of holding it in my hand and wording my refill request carefully (“can I get another Coke please?”). This server needed no such encouragement.
– We got our bill quickly. With a two-year-old, it’s nuts to sit there and have to wait to pay your bill. If you follow this blog, you know how it drives me nuts to have to wait to give a store my money – they should be eager to take it. Sitting there with a bored two-year-old makes it much worse. Not a problem tonight.
Again, their service usually isn’t horrible, and this server didn’t do much that was especially astounding – she just got the small stuff right. Kudos for that. Healthy tip to match. I tend to tip very well for good service, but I’ve been known to give a rounding tip ($24.87 –> $25.00) for poor service, so I had to give this girl the credit for a job well done.