One of the most impactful videos I watched this year was Emmanuel Acho’s TED talk on goal setting, as I shared here. More specifically, it was his talk about not setting as many goals.
As I mentioned in that previous post, this is something I’ve done for a while anyhow and it was great to see him explain it so well. For 2024, I’ll have fewer specific personal goals, but more items that I want to get very consistent with.
The list is similar to what I’ve shared before, and really comes down to a few areas:
- Blogging. I fully intend to post every single day in 2024 in order to keep filling the gaps in my thinking.
- Reading. The blogging only works if I have the reading to push me forward.
- Podcasting. My new “Stacking Knowledge” podcast is off to a great start over the past few months and I plan on publishing 26 more episodes of that in 2024.
- Anki. I’ve talked about Anki quite a lot on here, I’ve studied cards in there for 2,034 days in a row and I have no intention of stopping.
- Duolingo. I’ve studied Spanish in Duolingo for 697 days in a row, but it’s often been weak practice; I do a single lesson and move on with my day. If I want this to be impactful, I need to get more serious about digging in on those.
- Exercise. My main chose of exercise continues to be Supernatural, which I first shared in 2021. My consistency was better this year, but not good enough, so I’ll keep pushing harder on that.
We’ll still set company goals via Traction this year, as it’s important to be clear on those things to keep everyone pushing in the same direction.
For things that are entirely up to me, though, I’ll focus much more on the direction than the destination and it should lead to excellent results.